Disaster/Emergency Animal Evacuation
Disaster / Emergency Animal Evacuations
The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Department Animal Control Division, The Central California Animal Disaster Team (CCADT) and the Mariposa SPCA can assist animal owners during a disaster/emergency when owners are asked to leave their homes due to evacuations. Animal Control Officers can transport your animals from the evacuation areas and CCADT and the Mariposa SPCA can help owners shelter and care for your domestic animals while they are displaced from your homes during an evacuation. There is no fee for this service.
Transportation of animals out of the disaster/evacuation area will be executed by the Mariposa County Animal Control Division once an evacuation order is in effect.
Ways You Can Prepare for Evacuations
- Make plans ahead of time for a safe place to take your animals in the event of an evacuation. (relative, friends, neighbors, boarding kennels, evacuations centers etc.)
- Keep carriers, leashes, bowls, pet food, blankets, pet identification tags and pet medication accessible in the event you have to evacuate in a hurry.
- Please make sure your pets are current on vaccinations and bring a copy of their vaccination records with you.
- Have a sufficient supply of water on the property for several days. ie. appropriate size water troughs/bowls per type and amount of animals you own.
- If you are able to please mark your livestock/animals with a phone number and address.
How You Can Request Assistance
- If you have been evacuated from your home and you cannot transport your animals yourself please contact dispatch for Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Division at 209-966-3614 and provide them your name, address, contact phone number, description of animals left behind and destination of where you need your animals transported to OR if you would like your animals cared for at your home. Please keep in mind that Animal Control will transport animals in greater danger/need first.
- If you are asked to leave your home and can take your animals with you but you do not have a place to take your animals (relative, friends, neighbors, boarding kennel etc.) you may contact:
- CCADT at 559-433-WOOF (9663) and ask for assistance in sheltering/caring for your domestic dogs, cats and domestic small animals while you are displaced from your home during an evacuation. CCADT representatives normally open an animal shelter at or near the designated Red Cross evacuation center. CCADT can also assist displaced owners with pet food and supplies during an evacuation. For more information on disaster preparedness for pets visit - http://www.ccadt.org/
- You can contact the Mariposa SPCA at 209-966-5275 and ask for assistance in sheltering/caring for your domestic dogs, cats and domestic small animals while you are displaced from your home during an evacuation. The Mariposa SPCA can also assist displaced owners with pet food supplies, bowls, towels, blankets and clothing during an evacuation. Small domestic animals include birds, rabbits, chickens, chinchilla’s etc.
- If you have large animals such as equine, cattle, sheep, goats, llama’s etc. and need assistance in transporting them or if you do not have a safe designated location to transport them to such as a friend or relative please contact dispatch for Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Division at 209-966-3614 and request assistance with transporting your animals or caring for them at your home.
- If you request assistance in transporting your animals, please leave your halters, lead ropes etc. accessible and visible to find.