After the Fire Series

Information from the United States Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service, After the Fire Series

Federal & State Agencies & Organizations

Senator Dianne Feinstein (415) 393-0707
Help with issues with any federal agencies; for example, passports, Social Security checks lost or damaged, etc.

Internal Revenue Service (800) 829-1040
For information on Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Losses and other questions regarding Federal income and payroll taxes

Social Security Administration (SSA) (800) 772-1213
Information on applying for Social Security benefits, survivor benefits, expediting delivery of check due to disaster, and replacement of lost social security cards.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (800) 827-1000
Information about VA death benefits, pension, insurance settlements, or other information related to VA.

California Board of Equalization (BOE) (800) 400-7115
Questions regarding sales and use, property and special taxes.

California Contractors State License Board (800) 321-CSLB (2752)
Information on how to check the license of contractors and guidance on building after a natural disaster.
How to Hire a Contractor (Video)

California Department of Housing and Community Development (916) 255-2501 permits and (800) 952-8356 registration and titling
Can assist with manufactured housing questions, including repairs, installation and/or registration and titling.

Department of Insurance (800) 927-4357
Answer questions about existing insurance policies and coverage provided. 

Franchise Tax Board  (800) 852-5711
Information on filing disaster and casualty losses on a tax return.

California Department of Public Health (916) 650-6416 main line (916) 445-2684 vital records.
Information on health concerns related to a disasters.  Works with those who have lost vital records as a result of disaster; birth, death, and marriage records should be requested from the county recorder’s office in the county where the even occurred .

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) (800) 777-0133
Forms to assist in replacing documents, such as driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle registration, and certificates of title lost to disaster.

California Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) (800) 952-5626
Services for those with CALVET loans who have suffered damage caused by a disaster.

California Employment Development Department (EDD)    
(800) 300-5616 (unemployment insurance benefit claims) and (888) 745-3886 (assistance for employers)
Employment services for job seekers and employers. Unemployment benefits for qualified workers who lose their job due to no fault of their own, such as disaster. Employers affected by a state of emergency may request a 60-day extension to file state payroll taxes without penalties or interest.

California Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) (916) 845-8510
Information on disaster preparedness and recovery.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program (209) 966-2000, 5362 Lemee Lane, Mariposa, CA 95338
Helps low income to moderate income pregnant women, new mothers, babies and young children with vouchers for healthy and nutritious food. 

Mariposa County Departments

Agricultural Commissioner (209) 966-2075

Animal Care and Control (209) 966-3615

Assessor-Recorder (209) 966-2332
Real property tax relief and valuation.

Behavioral Health  After hours: 9-1-1 or (209) 966-7000  
During business hours: (209) 966-2000, or (800) 549-6741


Public Health (209) 966-3689 or (800) 459-4466

Public Works (209) 966-5356
(Roads, landfill)

Senior Nutrition (209) 742-7182

SheriffEmergency 9-1-1, Non-Emergency Dispatch: (209) 966-3614
Phone: (209) 966-3615 or (800) 774-8314

Social Services (209) 966-2000
CalWORKS/TANF, CalFresh (Food Stamps), General Assistance, Medi-Cal & County Medical Services Program (CMSP)

Transportation Services (Dial-a-Ride) (209) 966-5315

Veterans Service (209) 966-3696 -


Other Organizations

Central Valley Red Cross  (559) 455-1000 -

  • Referrals to disaster recovery case managers and disaster recovery resources.  
  • Preparation resources including family disaster plans, radio stations in area and tips to build a disaster survival kit.

Mariposa Community Foundation (209) 742-1022

  • Accepting monetary donations for distribution to fire victims

Mariposa County Chamber of Commerce (209) 966-2456

  • Community and business resources

Mariposa County Fire Safe Council (209) 966-7700

United Policyholders (800) 286-5631 

  • Non-profit insurance claim help. 
  • Providing information and answering questions about insurance and recovery.



Mariposa Community Foundation:
P.O. Box 5008, Mariposa CA. 95883
Contact: (209) 742-5134

  • Cash Donations

Voluntary Organization Active in Disaster (VOAD):
Contact: (559) 683-4911 or (209) 966-5911

  • Any Person or Group who wants to Volunteer
  • Any person or group who wants to make a donation