- County Counsel / Risk Management
COUNTY COUNSEL / RISK MANAGEMENT
County Counsel provides legal services to the Board of Supervisors and County officials. County Counsel is a statutory officer appointed by the Board of Supervisors and serves a four-year term. Legal services include providing legal opinions and advice, and preparing or reviewing contracts, leases, ordinances and resolutions. As legal advisor to the Board of Supervisors, County Counsel attends all Board meetings, both public and closed sessions. County Counsel handles civil litigation involving the County or its officers either directly, or by supervising outside counsel hired by the County. Legal services are provided to outside agencies that the Board of Supervisors serve on – Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System (YARTS), First 5 of Mariposa County, Area 12 Agency on Aging and the Mariposa County Water Agency.
The County Counsel’s Risk Management Team is charged with protecting the County’s assets (employees, physical and fiscal assets). Risk management services include administering the County’s general liability, insurance and safety programs, coordinating the defense of bodily injury and property damage suits of County workers and 3rd party claimants, and reviewing County contracts for compliance with the County’s insurance requirements in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible.
- Provide responsible legal advice and client service.
- Provide critical assistance to the Board of Supervisors and County officers to enable them to carry out their policy goals.
- Provide assertive representation in civil litigation and administrative hearings.
- Provide prompt and effective assistance in negotiations and drafting of contracts and other legal documents.
- Provide training and resources to enable us to achieve the goals of the Office.
- Provide active leadership that enables the County to protect the health, safety and welfare of its employees and the general public.
- Ensure the physical and financial assets of the County are protected.
- Control County risks in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Claim Against County Form (PDF)
**County Counsel does not provide legal services to the general public.**