To the extent practicable, district lines will be adopted using the following criteria:
- geographically contiguous districts (each supervisorial district should share a common border with the next),
- the geographic integrity of local neighborhoods or communities shall be respected in a manner that minimizes its division,
- geographic integrity shall be respected in a manner that minimizes a community's division,
- easily identifiable boundaries that follow natural or artificial barriers (rivers, streets, highways, rail lines, etc.), and
- lines shall be drawn to encourage geographic compactness. In addition, boundaries shall not be drawn for purposes of favoring or discriminating against a political party.