Flavored Tobacco and Youth
Why is Flavored Tobacco an issue?
Flavors, including menthol, make it easier to start smoking.
- Most teens who use tobacco start with a flavored product.
- E-liquids come in many candy and fruit flavors
like bubblegum, cotton candy and apple.
- Many of these
products are tempting to young people because they are sold in
colorful packaging that makes them look like candy.
- With its cool, minty taste, menthol covers up the harshness of tobacco and makes it easier to smoke and more addictive than non-flavored cigarettes.
- 48% of high school cigarette smokers say they normally smoke menthol
- 54% of people between the ages of 18-24 who use other-tobacco products
(OTP), report using a flavored OTP in the past month compared to 15% of
25-44 year old OTP users, 5% of 45-64 year old OTP users, and 1.7% of OTP
users over 65 years of age.
How you can make a difference!
Learn more about Flavored Tobacco here.
Resource: "Addiction is Never Sweet or Cool" ©2017 California Department Public Health. www.tecc.org J965-2/17
- Make your voice heard! Speak out about how flavors entice kids into wanting
to use tobacco products and how menthol cigarettes are more addictive than
- Write a letter to the newspaper, an opinion piece, a blog
or use Facebook and other social media to tell others what you think.
- Keep learning and teaching others about policies that make it harder to buy
menthol cigarettes and flavored tobacco products.
For more information contact the Tobacco Education Program staff at 209-966-3689