New E-Waste (Electronic) and U-Waste (Universal) Requirements
Due to Regulatory Changes from the State of California and for reducing potential environmental impacts, as of February 9, 2006 the following items are no longer accepted for disposal or in the garbage at the Mariposa County Landfill, but Will be accepted for recycling and proper handling:
- Common Batteries such as AA, C, D AAA, etc.
- Fluorescent Tubes and Mercury Containing Lamps
- Thermostats- Older Thermostats “Tilt Switch” Style
- Electronic Devices- TV’s Computers, VCR’s, cell Phones, Radios Etc.
- Electric Switches and Relays- pre 1972 Washing Machines, Freezers, electric space
- Heaters, irons, ABS Brakes
- Pilot Light Sensors-Stoves, Ovens, Dryers, Water Heaters and Furnaces and Space Heaters
- Mercury Gauges- barometers, blood pressure and vacuum gauges
- Mercury Novelties- Greeting cards that play music when opened
- Athletic Shoes with flashing lights made before 1997
- Mercury Thermometers
- Non Empty aerosol cans
These items are hazardous in that they contain materials that have been determined to be hazardous by the Department of Toxic Substances Control. The items must be separated from the garbage, as we can no longer dispose of the materials in the Landfill per the regulations.
It is illegal to dispose of the materials in the garbage to the landfill, but it is legal to collect the materials through the programs at the facilities.
If you have any questions about U-Waste or E-Waste, please ask the attendant at the facilities or contact the Mariposa County Public Works Department, Solid Waste & Recycling Division at (209) 966-5356 or the Landfill, Compost and Recycling Facilities at (209) 966-5165.