Threat of Fire
What to do if a Fire is Headed Your Way
If time permits, take a few precautions to provide additional fire defense for your home:
- Remove flammable items such as grass doormats and bamboo shades.
- Minimize flat surfaces that could let a burning ember smolder.
- Tip wood picnic tables and benches on their sides.
- Remove patio umbrellas, collapsible awnings and outdoor cushions.
- Close all windows, doors and garage doors.
- Wet down buildings and defensible zone, including mulch piles and hay storage areas.
- Move furniture to the center of rooms, or walls away from the oncoming fire.
- Use telephones only for emergencies.
- Evacuate if you are directed to do so. Fire moves faster than you or your vehicle can.
- To report a fire, call 911.
- For professional fuels management advice, consult a registered professional forester (per California law).