Recycle Christmas Trees, Worn Out Strings of Lights and MORE...
The Mariposa County Department of Public Works is making it even easier for County residents to go green this holiday season by offering free disposal of Christmas trees at the Landfill.
This is an ongoing project and the public is invited to bring their Christmas trees to the Landfill for proper recycling. All decorations, including ornaments, tinsel and lights, as well as any nails used in tree stands, must be removed prior to disposal. Flocked trees will also be accepted. The trees will be chipped and mixed with other solid waste in the Compost Facility to enhance the composting process.
Recycling Christmas trees makes sense because:
- They dry out and become a fire hazard if kept too long;
- It is very dangerous to burn them in the fireplace;
- Burning them outdoors adds to air pollution.
Other Recyclable Holiday Items
Many other materials that are often thrown away during the holiday season can be recycled at no charge at the Landfill and Recycling Center, including:
- Cardboard and paperboard boxes and packaging
- Catalogs, cards and envelopes (remove batteries in musical cards)
- Clean aluminum baking pans
- Clothing and linens in usable condition
- Electronic devices
- Non-working strings of lights (metal wire inside)
- Paper gift wrap (no plastic coated or plastic wrapping)
- Plastic cups with a recycling symbol on the bottom (rinsed)
- Wine, cider and other bottles
For more ideas on how to "green up" your holidays visit "Going Green."