Air Quality Index
06/05/2020: CAL FIRE will be conducting a prescribed burn today on Old Highway between Yaqui gulch and highway 49. Minimal smoke impacts expected.
Mariposa County Smoke Related Air Quality Index (AQI)
updated 10-14-2019 0845hrs
Currently no fires impacting Mariposa County Air Quality.
You can view current air quality around Mariposa County by visiting the AirNow website and scrolling in to Mariposa on the map. You can also view the low tech sensor network of purple air sensors around the county at PurpleAir (website). These sensors are an indicator of air quality status but they are not as accurate as the emergency response monitors we use during a local fire. In side by side comparisons to our High tech monitors they read high, sometimes they are reporting significantly higher than actual conditions.
Persons with health conditions that are affected by smoke should consider relocating to a smoke free area when smoke is present.
Protect yourself and your family with these Wildfire Smoke Health Tips
For additional information on air quality you can visit the AirNow (website)
- Use common sense. If it looks smoky outside it’s probably not a good time to go for a run. And it’s probably not a good time for your children to play outdoors.
- If you have a heart or lung disease, if you are an older adult, or if you have children, talk with your doctor about whether, and when, you should leave the area.
- If you decide to remain:
- Consider staying indoors to avoid breathing the smoke particles.
- Run your air conditioner, if you have one.
- Keep the fresh air intake closed, and the filters clean, to prevent bringing additional smoke inside. Note: if you don’t have an air conditioner, staying inside with the windows closed may be dangerous in extremely hot weather. In these cases, seek alternative shelters.
- A swamp cooler will not provide this protection, and will pull in the smoky air from outside.
- “Masks” (especially surgical masks or wet bandanas) will not protect your lungs. If the smoke is that irritating to you, the best option is to remain indoors or temporarily re-locate.