Property Tax Assistance for Senior Citizens, Blind, or Disabled Persons
The State Controller’s Office (SCO) will begin accepting new Property Tax Postponement (PTP) applications beginning October 1 – February 10. Applications are processed in first-come, first served order by postmark date. Applications are available in the Mariposa County Tax Office.
Eligibility Requirements To qualify, you must meet all of the following criteria for every year in which postponement of property taxes is desired:
• Be at least 62 years of age, or blind, or disabled;
• Own and occupy the real property as your principal place of residence (Floating homes; and house boats are not eligible);
• Have a total household income of $35,500 or less;
• Have at least 40 percent equity in the property; and
• Not have a reverse mortgage on the property.
Requirements are subject to change without notice if the law is revised.
State law does not allow payment of delinquent and/or defaulted property taxes that are owed on the property that is being considered for postponement.
The interest rate for all taxes postponed under the PTP program is 7 percent per year.
To secure repayment of the postponed property taxes, The State Controller’s Office places a lien against the property.
Go to the SCO website at https://sco.ca.gov/ardtax_prop_tax_postponement.html
for more information. If you have any questions, call 1.800.952.5661 or